Wednesday 4 December 2013

THERE’S A GIANT



My name is Peter, pilot of the blog, The World As We Know It, and I’m an insecure writer. We could go on and on debating over whether it is helpful or not to admit our insecurities, but that’s really not the point right now.
So what’s the point right now, you ask. Listen, there’s a giant inherent in even the smallest and weakest of us. Despise it or not, clichés are clichés for a reason.
My upstart blog exists on the ideal that the world is mostly what we make of it and as such, there is absolutely no reason to assume for a second that the world as is handed to us is any more real or superior to the world as we visualize it, as we shape it.
Yes, we have the power to shape the world – as wide and domineering as it seems – because that big, big giant is in every one of us. It is only a matter of waking it up.

Like all would-be writers, I experienced that inertia of starting? What do I write? Who gives a damn what I think? Is this not madness? How do I get this across? How far am I really going to go with this?
But then, you see, these are not questions that should be left unanswered. They are inherently basic and within their simplicity lies their usefulness?
For how can you write what you do not know? Where is the rationality in writing if no one really cares to read? And how long will you stand if don’t even know how far you’re willing to go with this pursuit.
But these questions are freezing – they feed inertia. No one ever really answers these questions at the beginning; their answers entail a lifelong quest, as the cliché goes.
However, for everyone who has gone past the questions to put pen down to paper, I believe there is a giant already being awoken. To everyone who reads: there is a giant inside of you and it has just about had enough sleep.
To learn more about the Insecure Writers' Support Group and its activities, please visit the blog of founder, Alex Cavanaugh, author of the science fiction, Cassastar series.
 




4 comments :

  1. I like this post. A lot. Keep doing what you're doing. I think it sounds great.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much @Karen and @Heather. It means a lot to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a positive, encouraging post this is. I love the idea of the waking giant as I finish my first book's first draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. I only hope the work gets easier for you after the first draft

      Delete